Volunteers are an integral part of the programs and services at Immigrant Services Calgary. The primary goal of the volunteer program is to promote the benefits of volunteerism to the community. We have over 700 volunteers who collectively speak over 70 languages.
Currently, Immigrant Services Calgary is recruiting for the following positions:
- Interpreters and translators who are native speakers or demonstrate fluency in the following languages:
- Interpreters: Albanian, Amharic, Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Cantonese, Dari, Dinka, Farsi, French, German, Italian, Khmer, Korean, Nuer, Somali, Tigrinya, Vietnamese.
- Translators: Amharic, Bengali, Chinese, Czech, Dari, Dinka, Farsi, French, German, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Malay, Nepali, Nuer, Polish, Portuguese, Serbian, Somali, Spanish, Tagalog, Tamil, Thai, Tigrinya, Ukrainian, Vietnamese.
- Interpreter: Provides verbal interpretation services in various settings such as medical, legal, social, educational, and others.
- Translator: Provides written translation of documents that accurately reflects the meaning of the source text.
- Mentor: Provides support, advice, and encouragement to internationally educated professionals in their job search process.
- Children’s Programs Volunteer: Assists ISC staff in facilitating children’s activities such as reading circles, crafts, playing, singing, dancing, and others. This role may also include helping with setting-up and cleaning-up, preparing healthy snacks, childminding, assisting with workshops and other tasks.
- Tutor: Provides tutoring in school subjects (i.e., English, math, science, social science, etc.) to immigrant/refugee learners (grades 1-12). Tutors help students build academic skills, develop better study habits, improve self-confidence, and achieve success in school and life.
- Youth mentee (immigrant youth ages 14-20) – Supports community causes, projects, and initiatives through donating his/her time to local non-profit organizations.