The Immigrant Access Fund (IAF) program started in Alberta in 2005. It provides low interest micro-loans to skilled immigrants who are not able to pay for the training or licensing.
To be eligible to apply for a loan you must meet the conditions in all these areas:
- Be an immigrant living in a province or territory other than Quebec.
- Be a permanent resident, Canadian citizen, protected person, or provincial nominee
- Have worked in another country in the field you wish to return to
- Lack access to comparable financial resources
- Not have an undischarged bankruptcy
Following is a checklist to apply for the IAF program:
- Application Form, which you can find at www.iafcanada.org
- Immigration Status
- Prior training/education
- Your Resume
- Level of English or French
- Your Income
- Job advertisements
- Your licensing/training plan
For more information about IAF, please visit www.iafcanada.org.