Snow and freezing temperatures have arrived in Calgary, and that means icy roads and difficult driving conditions. The following are some winter driving tips from the City of Calgary:
- Tune up and winterize your vehicle.
- Check the tread on your tires and consider installing snow tires.
- Clean snow and ice off your vehicle and ensure your headlights and windows are clear.
- Give yourself extra time to reach your destination.
- Reduce your speed and turn on your headlights.
- Drive defensively.
- Leave extra distance between you and the car ahead of you.
- Leave 10 metres distance—about three car lengths—between your vehicle and the working sanders, graders and other snow removal equipment.
- Do not pass working sanders or equipment.
- Listen to your local radio station for traffic and weather updates.
- Consider delaying your trip until the roads are in better condition.
For more tips on driving in the winter, please visit the following websites from the City of Calgary and the Government of Alberta:
Government of Alberta: http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType34/Production/WinterDrivingTips.pdf