Driving during winter in Alberta can be a whole different experience for newcomers. It involves snow, ice and cold temperatures and can get a bit challenging even for experience drivers. Foresight and preparation can go a long way to ensure safety and an enjoyable driving experience.
Below are some tips and safety guidelines for your easy transition to a new experience.
- Stay Alert. Check weather and road conditions before you head out
- Reduce Speed. It takes longer to stop on ice and snow than it does on dry roads.
- Avoid sudden changes in speed or direction. Icy and snowy roads are uncertain and can cause your vehicle to slide out of control.
- Always stay well behind a working snow plow.
- Take a winter driving course from a driving school.