The Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan offers eligible Alberta residents with full coverage for medically necessary physician services, and some dental and oral surgical health services.
This can include any medically required services, psychiatrist visits, required diagnostic services, oral and maxillofacial surgery services and bariatric surgery. It also covers medically necessary or required hospital services. The Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan partially covers optometry, dental, and podiatry services.
Medical services covered
The following medical services are covered under the AHCIP or publicly funded for individuals registered with AHCIP:
- medically required services provided by a physician
- psychiatrist visits
- medically required diagnostic services including laboratory, radiological and other diagnostic procedures
- oral and maxillofacial surgery services
- bariatric surgery for Albertans who are eligible under the Weight Wise program
- learn about bariatric surgery eligibility and the Weight Wise program
- Albertans receiving bariatric surgery outside Alberta must meet the Weight Wise program’s eligibility criteria
- a letter from an Alberta physician confirming the criteria have been met is required to be eligible for coverage
For more information, visit https://www.alberta.ca/ahcip.aspx.