Valid Permanent Resident Card when Travelling Abroad

Settlement ISC Citizenship & Immigration, Community, Updates

Permanent residents who are hoping to travel should ensure that their Permanent Resident Cards (PR card), as well as their family members PR cards are valid. If you are planning to travel abroad, make sure to renew your PR card before you leave. You can only renew your PR card in Canada and PR cards will not be sent to non-Canadian addresses and no third parties can get them for you. 

If your PR card expires while you are outside of Canada and you are returning to Canada by airplane, boat, train, or bus, you will need to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) from a Canadian visa office abroad.

To learn more, visit and