Online application for Social Insurance Number

Michelle Mak Newcomer Information, Updates

When a newcomer comes to Canada, often times the first document they will apply for is a Social Insurance Number (SIN). Prior to the COVID-19 crisis, newcomers would need to go to a Service Canada Office to apply for this card, but the application is now available online.

A SIN number allows newcomers to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits (such as EI). A SIN is issued to one person only and it cannot legally be used by anyone else.

To read more about protecting your SIN, please visit

For information on the online application for SIN, please visit