All three levels of our governments have been supporting local businesses during the COVID-19 pandemic. Here’s what’s been happening so far:
The Canadian government:
– expanded the Canada Emergency Business Account (CEBA) to businesses that paid between $20,000 and $1.5 million in total payroll in 2019;
– has recently announced a plan to lower rent by 75% for small businesses affected by COVID-19. The Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance (CECRA) for small businesses will be available by mid-May.
The Alberta government:
– has announced a series of tax changes and payment deferrals to support local businesses;
The City of Calgary:
– has started an initiative called #SupportLocalYYC to support local businesses affected by COVID-19;
– is encouraging Calgarians to post #SupportLocalYYC on social media, buy from local businesses online, order delivery or take-out directly from local restaurants, buy gift cards to use later, leave positive reviews of businesses you love, etc.
Want to start a business yourself but don’t know where to start?
As you are probably stuck at home during COVID-19, there is no better time to take advantage of this time and start researching your business idea!
Watch our latest Smart Tips video “How to Start A Small Business in Alberta” which will walk you through these topics:
– Exploring a business idea
– Testing a product
– Creating a Business Plan
– Registering a business
– And more!
Check here for invaluable resources, downloadable templates, vocabulary lists, knowledge check, and full video transcripts!