May 10 to May 16, 2020 is the Crime Prevention Week. Many people are turning to online shopping during the COVID-19 pandemic. The Calgary Police Service would like to remind you about a series of recent crimes committed by the Gnome Wreckers and many other thieves that steal your packages from your doorstep.
When you are waiting for packages to be delivered to your home, you need to think about how to protect your stuff from being stolen by package thieves. Here are a few tips:
- Always track your package online, so that you have an idea when it will be delivered.
- If you know for sure you won’t be home that time and day, you can ask a trustworthy neighbor to collect the package left at your door.
- Give specific instructions to have the package delivered to a place where you know someone will be there, e.g. your workplace, a friend’s apartment, the manager’s office of your apartment, etc.
- You can require a signature upon delivery, meaning that you have to sign it in person when receiving it. It depends on which delivery service you are using and might not be an option for all.
- If you live in a condo or an apartment, make sure you include the Buzz Code as part of your address when you place the order online, so that you can buzz the delivery person in.
- If you live in a house and have the budget, install a CCTV camera at your front door and make sure people, thieves included, can see it. This will discourage any crime activities including theft.
- If you spot someone suspicious, call 403-266-1234 (or 911 for a crime-in-progress).