Stage One of Alberta’s Relaunch Strategy took effect on May 14, 2020 with a strong focus on safety as restrictions are gradually being lifted.
In Calgary and Brooks, the relaunch will be more gradual compared to the rest areas of Alberta due to higher COVID-19 case numbers in these two communities.
The Victoria Day long weekend is coming and you may be wondering what businesses and facilities can start to reopen in Calgary:
Opening May 14:
- Clothing, furniture and bookstores
- Vendors at farmers markets
- Museums and art galleries
- Daycares and out-of-school care with limits on occupancy
- Some scheduled and non-urgent surgeries will continue gradually
- Services offered by regulated health professions
Opening May 25:
- Hairstyling and barbershops
- Cafés, restaurants, pubs and bars (table service only at 50 % capacity)
Opening June 1:
- Day camps and summer school (with limits on occupancy)
- Post-secondary institutions will continue to deliver courses (more flexibility to include in-person delivery once the in-person classes prohibition is lifted)
- Places of worship and funeral services, if they follow specific guidance already online
Please keep in mind that gatherings of more than 15 people are still not permitted at this stage unless otherwise specified in public health orders or guidance. Gatherings of 15 people or fewer must follow personal distancing and other public health guidelines.