For the past 2 to 3 months, our entire professional lives have moved online. Whether you are working from home since March, or new in Calgary actively searching for a job, or have been laid off due to COVID-19, it’s time to revisit or create your LinkedIn profile and make use of this great professional networking platform.
Here are a few tips on how to use LinkedIn during the pandemic:
- Optimize the headline:
- Don’t simply say: “Seeking a new opportunity”
- Add keywords for what you do, followed by the value you bring.
- Report work experience in numbers:
- Don’t simply list your previous job titles and dates
- Show your value by quantifying what you did, e.g. increasing sales by 20%
- If you are laid off:
- Don’t add a placeholder experience right away, because it reduces the chance of your last official job being noticed
- Show you are open to new opportunities: under the Intro section, check “Show recruiters you’re open to job opportunities.”
- Use the “Give Kudos” function:
- An important way to build strong relationships is acknowledging other;
- LinkedIn’s “Give Kudos” function allows you to select a preset/customized message to celebrate a professional connection.
- Use the “Teammates” function:
- Stay connected and get updates from your teammates quickly
- How to use Teammates Feature
- Use “LinkedIn Learning”
- LinkedIn Learning is a library of over 14,000 online educational resources.
- Learn and apply new knowledge and skills efficiently.
On June 17, 2020, we will host a free online workshop “Resumes & Interviews: How to Target Your Resume and Interview for Success”. Click here to register: https://settlementcalgary.com/events/06172020cn/
If you have questions, we are online and ready to help you. Just type in your question in the chatbox at the lower right corner on this webpage.
Word of the Day:
Optimize: to make the best use of something