For the coming school year of 2020-2021, school authorities in Alberta will plan for all three scenarios for September:
- In-school classes resume (near normal operations with health measures)
- In-school classes partially resume with additional health measures
- At home learning continues (in-school classes are cancelled)
The government will share its final decision by Aug. 1 on which scenario will be in place at the beginning of the school year. However, school authorities are asked to prepare for implementing any of the three possibilities during the upcoming school year, including on short notice.
In the first scenario of which in-school classes resume, there will be many health measures put in place such as:
- Daily cleaning and disinfecting of all areas in school
- Routine screening for all staff and students of their health
- When possible, practise some physical distancing as a good precaution to prevent the spread of disease.
- Masks may be considered in circumstances where there is prolonged close contact (greater than 15 minutes) and distance of two metres cannot be maintained.
- A no-sharing policy – all students should have their own supplies.
In the case of scenario two, the same considerations as scenario 1, with the following differences:
- A recommended maximum of 15 people in a classroom to allow for more consistent physical distancing.
- Students will attend school less regularly as school authorities will need to adjust their class schedule and configuration to meet the physical distancing requirement.
Word of the day:
- a suggested sequence or development of events
- Eg: A possible scenario would be that we move to Vancouver.