2020 has been a year full of changes and adaptations, this includes having to celebrate Canada Day differently. Although everyone might have to be apart physically, but we can still celebrate together as a city and country.
The following are some events/activities planned by the City of Calgary. Before Canada Day, you can start making plans to:
- Dress in red and white, you could wear your favourite Calgary team jersey or cowboy hat if you have one.
- Paint your face.
- Put up your Christmas or outdoor lights. Turn them on by 10 p.m. (sunset) on July 1 to join the Calgary Tower in lighting up our city.
- Decorate your house, yard or balcony in red and white. Display your Canada flag and show off your Canada-inspired family crafts.
- Have a pancake breakfast with your family or outdoor picnic in your yard or balcony.
- Check out this Celebration Kit for interactive, creative and educational activities for the whole family.
- Help support local business on July 1st, consider ordering your favourite local food for take-in.
Virtual Canada Day concert
Make sure your at home Canada Day plans include watching the premiere of our Virtual Canada Day Celebration presented by CBC Calgary. Hosts: David Gray, Angela Knight, Doug Dirks and Rob Brown.
Musical performances by Calgary artists:
This daytime show offers a virtual tour of the celebrations with many surprises. With hosts Serena Ryder and Pierre-Yves Lord, discover talented artists from Sudbury, Montreal, Quebec, Moncton, Winnipeg, Yellowknife and Calgary.
When/where: 1 p.m. on CBC television, 11 a.m. on Canadian Heritage’s social media platforms, July 1st.
This evening show is a unique edition of Canada’s annual iconic celebration featuring original artistic collaborations between performers from coast to coast to coast. The night will wind up with a montage of the best Canada Day fireworks from past years.
When/where: 8 p.m. on CBC television, 6 p.m. on Canadian Heritage’s social media platforms, July 1st.
When: 10 p.m. on July 1
Smartphone and tablet users can catch a three minute augmented reality fireworks show. Point your device at the night sky and experience the same visual and sound effects as a real fireworks display! Alternatives are available for desktop and laptop users.
Get a free donut with any mobile order that includes a drink on June 30 and July 1! This offer is only available with take-out orders placed through the Tim Hortons app (Android, iOS) — simply add at least one beverage and any donut to your cart to apply the offer! All donuts are eligible with this offer and the discount will be applied to the higher-priced donut if there are multiple donuts in your mobile order.
From 12 PM – 7 PM on Canada Day, food trucks will be available at Spruce Meadows and Grey Eagle Casino for a food truck drive thru.
Location: Spruce Meadows, 18011 Spruce Meadows Way Sw, Calgary.
Location: Grey Eagle Casino, 3777 Grey Eagle Dr, Calgary.
- Calgary Tower
- Calgary Zoo
- Heritage Park +Gasoline Alley Museum
- Military Museums
- The Hangar Flight Museum (formerly Aerospace Museum)
- Heritage Park
- Skyline Luge
- Chinook Honey Company & Chinook Arch Meadery
- Calgary Farmyard
- Cobbs Corn Maze
- Butterfield Acres Calgary
- Lougheed House Gardens
- Reader Rock Garden