As of June 22, 2020, Lime, Bird and Roll (e-scooter companies) are now permitted to deploy their full fleet of approved scooters. In 2019, phase one of the pilot permitted a total of 2,000 devices to operate in Calgary. There now will be a total of 2,500 devices allowed to operate in Calgary until the end of phase two for this pilot, ending on October 21, 2020.
It’s important to remember when riding a shared e- scooter, you continue to follow the safety guidelines listed below:
Please note that the shared e-scooters are NOT cleaned after every use, when riding a shared scooter, each rider needs to follow the following safety guidelines below:
- Please wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds before and after using a shared-e-scooter. Use hand sanitizer when soap and water is not available.
- Wipe down the shared scooter with a pre-moistened disinfectant wipe before and after use of a shared e-scooter. Please bring your own wipes.
- Avoid touching your face when using a shared e-scooter.
- Physical distancing must be maintained when riding. When riding alone or with other people you are still required to maintain at least 2 meters (the length of a bicycle) between yourself and anyone else. Only one rider at a time is permitted (no ‘doubling’)
- While riding a scooter, be safe, slow down, and leave space when passing other people; always give each other 2 meters of space.
Scooter operator companies (Lime, Bird and Roll) are required to follow the public health guidelines outlined by Alberta Health Services during COVID-19 to ensure public safety which includes increasing the frequency that the scooters are cleaned everyday and provide in-app messaging that will outline best safety practices for riding during COVID-19.
For more information on e-scooters and their safety guidelines, please visit https://www.calgary.ca/transportation/tp/cycling/cycling-strategy/shared-electric-scooter-pilot.html?redirect=/scootershare
Word of the Day:
- give authorization or consent to (someone) to do something.
- I was permitted to operate this vehicle.