On July 21, 2020, Calgary City Council voted to pass the temporary Face Coverings Bylaw that requires the wearing of face coverings in indoor public premises and public vehicles. These new regulations will begin August 1, 2020.
Under the bylaw, business operators or owners are required to display a sign asking for everyone to wear face masks in public entryways of the business or vehicle. The City of Calgary will make downloadable signage available to businesses and operators on Calgary.ca/covid19.
Businesses are not expected to deny services as not everyone is required to wear a face covering. Exceptions to the face coverings bylaw include:
- Children under 2 years of age
- People with underlying medical conditions or disabilities inhibiting their ability to wear a face covering
- People who are unable to place, use or remove a face covering safely without assistance
- People who are eating or drinking at a public premises that offers food or beverage services
- People engaging in an athletic or fitness activity
- People who are caregiving for or accompanying a person with a disability where wearing a face covering would hinder the accommodation of the person’s disability
- People who have temporarily removed their face covering where doing so is necessary to provide or receive a service (for example, a visit to the dentist)
The City of Calgary research also found that 74 per cent of Calgarians are either strongly or somewhat supportive of making face coverings mandatory in public and confined spaces.
“If you are in an indoor public space, please wear a face covering,” says Chief Tom Sampson, Calgary Emergency Management Agency. “This is not about enforcement, it is about educating people first. We’re trying to get the public to comply during what could be a worsening situation that may be coming if we can’t respond within the next six to eight weeks.”
Failure to wear a face covering where required or failure to display prescribed signage can result in a penalty of $100 to $200.
For more information, please visit https://newsroom.calgary.ca/temporary-bylaw-mandating-face-coverings-in-public-indoor-spaces-and-public-vehicles-passed-by-city-council/