An explosion of new terms has been created during COVID-19. Today let’s take a look at the most popular ones!
- WFH stands for “working from home”;
- a word made by combining “mask” and “acne”, referring to pimples from wearing a mask. Read about what’s causing it and how to beat it;
- a person opposed to wearing a face mask during the coronavirus outbreak;
- a person who does not follow social distancing rules and behaves like an idiot;
Doomscrolling or doomsurfing
- the tendency of continuously reading bad news without being able to stop oneself. Learn how to stop yourself from doomscrolling;
- hijacking a Zoom videocall by displaying graphic or disturbing images;
- the fear of catching the coronavirus.
Why do we create new language for coronavirus?
Because humor helps us cope with this crisis. If we look at the history, in challenging times of serious social crisis, linguistic creativity always shows up as a coping mechanism. If you can name it, talk and laugh about it, things become more manageable. It helps with our mental health. Read more about the reason behind the creation of new language for coronavirus.
Word of the Day:
Mechanism: a process or system for achieving a result