Job Satisfaction & How to be Happier at Work

Lisa C. Employment, Newcomer Information

A 2019 study by Canadian office supply provider Hamster found that 83 % of Canadians are satisfied with their job, but what about the rest 17%? Today, let’s talk about job satisfaction and how to be happier at work.

What is job satisfaction?

Job satisfaction is a feeling of fulfillment or enjoyment that you get from your job. It is an important part of life and it can mean different things to different people.

What factors affect your job satisfaction?
  • The nature of your work;
  • Income, benefits, job security and work environment;
  • Relationship with coworkers and supervisors;
  • Feeling of being respected, appreciated and recognized;
  • Level of commitment, meaning and motivation;
  • Your values, personal and professional goals;
  • And many more!
Why is job satisfaction important?

You are new in Canada. You have bills to pay and need to get a job as soon as you can. In this situation, you might underestimate the importance of job satisfaction.

Did you know that the average person spends 90,000 hours at work over a lifetime? That is 1/3 of your life. You would want to be happy during that one-third of your life, wouldn’t you? Studies have found that people considering their work as meaningful and satisfying reported less anxiety and stress.

How to be happier at work?
  • Understand what motivates you at work.

Why did I apply for this job in the first place? What inspires me to do the work I do? Find answers to these questions first.

  • Start and end a workday on a positive note.

Small wins count! Start your morning by doing something that makes you feel good (e.g. listen to birds sing on your balcony, medicate for 5 minutes, etc.), and at the end of the day, pinpoint a few small things that you have accomplished at work.

  • Be more thankful.

What are some of the things that you appreciate about your day or week at work? Don’t underestimate the power of retrospection and focusing on the positive.

  • Be proactive and ask your supervisor for feedback frequently.

It can provide you with positive reinforcement that makes you feel valued or fill in gaps that help you do your job better.

  • Offer help and support to a coworker.

Needless to say, helping others often makes us feel happier.

  • Be goal-oriented.

You may be working in a coffee shop for now, but set a clear goal and stay focus on the pathway to a professional career that you are passionate about. If your job is something you find personally fulfilling, you are more likely to feel happy at work.

  • Engage fully in the workplace culture and build strong friendships at work.

As we spend a lot of time at work, enjoying the work environment is one of the hallmarks of job satisfaction. Through positive workplace relationships, you will feel understood, respected and valued, which leads to increased job satisfaction.

If you’ve tried everything but still feel miserable at work on a regular basis, job search will make you smile! We provide free online employment counseling. Book a session with one of our employment counselors today!

Take the initiative, be proactive and re-evaluable your job, your professional life, and your entire career path. Actively search for something new that aligns with your goals and personal values. Remember this, you have full control over this and it’s up to you what’s the best thing to do.

Word of the Day:

Hallmark: a sign or indicator

References:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/careers/article-canadians-report-far-higher-job-satisfaction-and-engagement-than/

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/top-ways-to-be-happy-at-work-1919219

https://thethrivingsmallbusiness.com/job-satisfaction-and-job-performance/

https://chopra.com/articles/5-key-factors-to-finding-job-satisfaction

https://www.prospectnow.ca/?p=0&action=viewresource&ID=17783&fbclid=IwAR3luy_FsWqd99mTTCquZwNTbaHtKxZZYkjQWb2cCrA9dPRLzCVvlhYLR1Q

https://www.iedunote.com/factors-affecting-job-satisfaction

https://www.gettysburg.edu/news/stories?id=79db7b34-630c-4f49-ad32-4ab9ea48e72b&pageTitle=1%2F3+of+your+life+is+spent+at+work

https://www.happier.com/blog/5-scientifically-proven-ways-to-be-happier-at-work/

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09638237.2016.1244718

https://oem.bmj.com/content/62/2/105

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4683848/