This week, schools will welcome students back to class for a new school year with added health measures in place in Alberta. Some of the new health measures include:
- Masks for staff and grades 4-12 where physical distancing may not be possible
- in shared areas such as on the bus and hallways and while closely interacting in the classroom
- Placing hand sanitizers at school entrances and classrooms
- Cleaning surfaces regularly
- Grouping students in cohorts
- Planning the school day to allow for physical distancing, which could include staggered start times for classes, recesses and lunches
To help prevent the spread of COVID-19, all students, staff, parents and school visitors will be expected to check for symptoms daily using a self-screening questionnaire before entering the school.
In the situation where COVID-19 case happens, outbreak protocols will be in place to quickly identify confirmed cases and close contacts.
Interested in a return to school tool kit—which includes a parent guide, guide for COVID-19 outbreaks in schools, videos, posters and more? Visit