As its first step of $20 million commitment to enhance palliative care, the Government of Alberta has recently announced a $5 million funding to be provided to the Covenant Health Palliative Institute to
- increase access to palliative and end-of-life services;
- promote advance care planning so Albertans can ensure their wishes are honoured.
Additionally, $1 million will be provided to the Alberta Hospice Palliative Care Association (AHPCA) to
- establish in-person and online support groups;
- develop Alberta’s first telephone grief support line;
- expand workshops on palliative care for Albertans.
Word of the day:Palliative: relieving pain caused by a medical condition without curing it