Unexpected situations happen every day. Having supplies is one thing you can do to help manage many situations. your goal will be to have enough supplies to keep you and your family safe, warm and comfortable for at least 72 hours.
Normally, your family’s emergency kit should include:
- Nonperishable snacks that last at least 72 hours (e.g. energy bars, dried fruits or nuts)
- Water: 4 litres per day per person
- Medical supplies such as prescription drugs and other over-the-counter medications
- Important documents and records in a sealable bag: personal ID documents, birth certificates, Social Insurance Numbers, medical records
- First aid kit and sanitation supplies, and more!
Is your family’s emergency kit COVID-19 ready? Take some time to update it with new essentials, such as
- Extra disposable face masks
- Hand sanitizer
- Alcohol pads and wipes
- Thermometer to take your body temperature with
For a handy checklist and more tips to get your home emergency-ready, visit https://www.alberta.ca/build-an-emergency-kit.aspx
Word of the Day:Over-the-counter: can be purchased without a prescription. This word can be shortened to an acronym – OTC.