Effective September 17, 2020, the recommended COVID-19 testing criteria has changed in Alberta.
To help reduce wait times, speed access to results & support Albertans during the respiratory virus & flu season, testing will focus on all Albertans with symptoms, plus additional priority groups.
This means that testing in Alberta is now recommended for:
- Albertans with symptoms of COVID-19;
- Albertans who are close contacts of a confirmed case, whether symptomatic or not;
- Albertans who are linked to a known outbreak, whether symptomatic or not; and,
- Asymptomatic Albertans who are:
- School teachers and/or school staff; or
- Require asymptomatic testing for the purpose of travel
If you do not have symptoms and do not fall into the above list, you are NOT recommended for COVID-19 testing.
Pharmacies are also implementing these same criteria, and will offer testing only to eligible Asymptomatic Albertans. Albertans with symptoms must get tested through AHS.
While new appointments will not be offered for asymptomatic Albertans who are not in the priority groups, those who booked an asymptomatic test with AHS prior to this announcement will still be tested. These appointments will be honoured.
Word of the Day:Outbreak: in this article, an “outbreak” is a sudden increase in COVID-19 cases.
More information: https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/topics/Page17058.aspx