Take actions to ensure that your home is safe and water-efficient! The City of Calgary has put up a simple Homeowner Water Guide Fall Checklist to help you protect your home from leaks and prepare your yard for fall and winter.
Some of the reminders and tips you’ll find:
- Are there leaks? Check your toilets, taps, humidifier, hot water heater and other water using devices.
- Turn off the outdoor water supply to avoid winter leaks.
- Check the Watering 101 Guides to find out when to stop watering plants, shrubs & trees.
- Tips on letting your grass grow into dormancy – when best to stop watering and cutting your lawn.
- Use your water meter to check for leaks inside your home every six months as part of regular home maintenance.
- Replace your old, high-flow toilet with a low-flow model to save water and money.
Word of the Day:Dormancy: the state in which a plant is alive but not actively growing