The Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB) is a new benefit that is being introduced in Canada. Applications for the CRB will open next week on October 12, 2020.
The CRB gives income support to employed and self-employed individuals who are directly affected by COVID-19 and are not entitled to Employment Insurance (EI) benefits. The CRB is administered by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
If you are eligible for the CRB, you can receive $1,000 ($900 after taxes withheld) for a 2-week period. If your situation continues past those 2 weeks, you will need to apply again.
You may apply up to a total of 13 eligibility periods (26 weeks) between September 27, 2020 and September 25, 2021.
- are not eligible for EI (for example, if they are self-employed or are employed but did not work enough insurable hours to qualify for EI or if EI was already exhausted);
- reside in Canada;
- are at least 15 years old and have a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN)
- have stopped working due to the COVID-19 pandemic and are available and looking for work; or are working and have had a reduction in their employment/self-employment income for reasons related to COVID-19;
- had employment and/or self-employment income of at least $5,000 in 2019 or in 2020; and
- have not quit their job voluntarily
For more information, please visit https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/benefits/recovery-benefit.html