What is Carbon Monoxide?

Michelle Mak Daily Life, Fun Facts, Newcomer Information Leave a Comment

Other than having a smoke detector in your house, you should also consider getting a Carbon Monoxide (CO) detector. “Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous gas that has no colour, smell or taste. If you are exposed to a high amount of CO gas for a long time you may become sick, unconscious, suffer brain damage, or in very severe cases, even die.”

When you are exposed to CO gas, the symptoms are very similar to a flu (such as headaches, nausea and dizziness, as well as become confused, tired and lose consciousness.) Other warning signs that you might have CO gas in your house include stale or stuffy air, a lot of moisture on your windows and walls, soot build-up around appliances and vents, or a pilot light that keeps going out.

CO detectors are the only warning of dangerous CO gases in your home. You should install at least one carbon monoxide alarm on every level of your home, including the basement. The most important location for a CO alarm is in or near your bedrooms! These CO detectors usually last between 5-10 years so check the alarm’s packaging for more information.

Learn more about carbon monoxide and tips on carbon monoxide safety here: https://www.calgary.ca/csps/fire/safety-tips/safety-tips-home/carbon-monoxide-safety.html

Photo taken from City of Calgary Twitter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *