In today’s “English Idioms for Newcomers“, let’s take a look at this expression: “Drop the ball”.
What does “drop the ball” mean?
“Drop the ball” means to make a mistake or fail to reach a goal…
- by doing something in a stupid or careless way
- by not being able to take timely, effective, or proper action
How to use it?
- You can either use it by itself or add “on” after it to introduce where the mistake is made: drop the ball on…
- When it comes to teaching about Aboriginal history, many schools have dropped the ball.
- The police officers cannot afford to drop the ball again on the investigation of this 30-year-old cold case.
Before you go, check out our English Learning tips articles!
Immigrant Services Calgary offers online language assessment services and referrals for clients in the Calgary area and Southern Alberta. Want to get in touch with one of our newcomer language specialists? Answer a couple of questions to help us know you better! Feel free to chat with us online if you have any questions.