With Winter slowly creeping up on us, it is important to understand some some snow bylaws that the City of Calgary enforces. These are bylaws that everyone should follow when Calgary does start seeing snow. While the City of Calgary does their part in clearing the roads, designated pathways, public sidewalks and other high use public areas, Calgary property owners are required to do so as well. Within section 67 of the Street bylaws, Calgary property owners are required to:
- Remove snow and ice – down to bare surface – from public sidewalks that is bordering their private property within 24 hours of a snowfall ending. If you are an owner of a rental property, you are responsible for arranging for snow and ice removal if you live elsewhere!
- Remove a minimum width of 1.5 meters of snow and ice – down to bare surface – from a public pathway bordering their property, also within 24 hours of a snowfall ending. Applicable pathways are those that run parallel and adjacent to a street, with or without separation between the pathway and street (e.g. a grass boulevard).
- Pile snow from their private driveway or walkway on their own property (e.g. front lawn). Snow from a public sidewalk or pathway may be shoveled onto another public property, such as a road.
Did you know the City of Calgary provides free sand-salt mix that allows for easier shovelling? This mixture is called ‘pickle’ and it is available for individual use on sidewalks bordering private properties. Pickle helps breakdown snow and ice!
This is a free service, but you should know that:
- Supply is available on a first-come, first-served basis, and there’s no guarantee any is available when you arrive.
- Limit your haul to one container per visit.
- Bring your own container (under 25 kg) and shovel.
Visit https://www.calgary.ca/transportation/roads/road-maintenance/snow-and-ice-control/sanding-material-pick-up-locations.html for more information on where to pick up your own sand-salt mix!
For more information on snow clearing bylaws, please visit https://www.calgary.ca/csps/abs/bylaws-by-topic/snow-shovelling.html