In today’s “English Idioms for Newcomers“, let’s take a look at this expression: “When Push Comes to Shove”.
What does “when push comes to shove” mean?
“When push comes to shove” means if worse comes to worse. It is when
- a decision needs to be made to resolve an urgent issue
- matters become critical and call for an action
- someone commits oneself to an action or decision
How to use it?
- You can use “if” instead of “when” in this idiom: if push comes to shove
- If push comes to shove, she will have to borrow money from friends.
Before you go, check out our English Learning tips articles!
Immigrant Services Calgary offers online language assessment services and referrals for clients in the Calgary area and Southern Alberta. Want to get in touch with one of our newcomer language specialists? Answer a couple of questions to help us know you better! Feel free to chat with us online if you have any questions.