Food waste is a big problem worldwide, especially in developed countries like Canada. We all have the responsibility to take action to address food loss and waste.
Here are some tips to reduce food loss in your kitchen during holiday season and all year round.
Reducing food waste
- Check your pantry regularly for nearing-expiry items
- Know what you already have at home before going on a grocery trip
- Make a list and stick to it. Buy only what you need
Reuse containers for food storage
- Use reusable containers for leftover
- Avoid using plastic wrap or tin foil as much as possible
- Save bones and vegetable peelings for soup stock
- Freeze leftover stock or bones for later use
- Place unusable food scraps, soiled napkins and paper plates in your green cart
- Place rinsed and dry cans, jars, glass and plastic containers in your blue cart for
- Learn about different carts here: Black Cart, Blue Cart & Green Cart
Words of the DayStock: you make stock by cooking bones, meat, fish, or vegetables slowly in water