Tree cutting permits for personal use

Michelle Mak Community, Fun Facts, Newcomer Information

Did you know you can harvest your own Christmas Tree if you have a permit? Albertans can get a Personal Use Forest Products Permit (PUFPP) to harvest trees in designated Crown land areas.

To be eligible for a personal timber permit, you must be:

  • over the age of 18
  • a resident of Alberta
  • in good standing with the Crown relating to timber, grazing and land use

The PUFPP allows individuals to remove one of the following:

  • 3 Christmas trees under 2.5m (approximately 8ft) in height


  • 20 trees less than 2.5m in height for transplanting


  • Up to 5 cubic metres (5m3) of firewood. The number of trees cut depends on tree species and size and is approximately:
    • 5 to 7 large coniferous trees (generally trees with needles), or
    • 4 to 6 deciduous trees (generally trees with leaves), or
    • 5m3 is approximately 1.5 cords


  • Up to 5m3 of roundwood timber (that is, fence posts or poles).

Trees and timber must be cut from designated Crown provincial land only. The area-specific PUFPP must be with you at all times while cutting and/or transporting!

There is no cost for the PUFPP, it is valid for 30 days since the date it is issued.

For more information about the PUFPP, the rules and regulations of the PUFPP and how to get a permit, visit