What is Mental Health?
- Mental Health is our ability to cope with the normal stresses of life.
- We all have mental health. But we all have varying levels of wellness.
Are mental health issues common among us?
- Yes, and there’s nothing to be ashamed of! 1 out of 5 Canadians experiences mental illness each year.
- Approximately 500,000 Canadians miss work each year because of their mental health.
- Only about a third of those struggling to manage their mental health will seek help.
I’m working from home now because of COVID-19. What can I do to address my mental health?
- Find ways you can include wellness into the workplace, e.g. meditate or do yoga for 15 minutes during your lunch break.
- Ask your employers if there are any employee and family assistance Programs or benefit plans that cover the cost of counselling support, should you ever need it.
- Access your workplace insurance provider to determine if they offer education sessions or connect with your local Addiction & Mental Health office for support
- Reach out to your local Addiction & Mental Health office for guidance in how to address mental health concerns in the workplace, arrange education sessions, or to learn about what resources are available
If you, or someone you know is struggling with their mental health, call 811 or your local Addiction & Mental Health office. Help is available.
The above information is provided by Alberta Health Services (AHS).
Word of the Day:Meditate: to focus your mind and concentrate on your breathing for a period of time as a mental exercise or a way to relax