Due to Alberta’s high case numbers, the Alberta Government has announced new public health measures and restrictions to protect our health system from being overwhelmed.
These restrictions will be in place for a minimum of four weeks.
New expanded mandatory measures in effect starting Dec. 8 for Social Gatherings and Mandatory Masking include
- All indoor and outdoor social gatherings – public and private – are prohibited (with exceptions)
- Close contacts are limited to household members only. Individuals living alone may have the same two non-household close contacts during this new restriction.
The mandatory indoor public masking requirement will be extended province-wide.
- Applies to all indoor workplaces and facilities outside the home.
- Applies to employees, visitors and the general public.
“I know the restrictions announced today will have a significant impact on many, all who have faced a challenging year. We all want to move to a time when these restrictions are not necessary & our health system is not at risk.”– Dr. Deena Hinshaw, Chief Medical Officer of Health, Alberta Health
The following measures will come into effect 12:01 a.m., December 13.
Places of Worship
- Limited to 15% of fire code occupancy for in-person attendance
- Virtual or online services are strongly encouraged
- Drive-in services will be permissible and are not subject to capacity restrictions.
- Must reduce customer capacity to 15% of fire code occupancy
- Curbside pick up, delivery and online services are encouraged.
- Restaurants, pubs, bars, lounges and cafes will be closed to in-person service. Only take out, curbside pickup and delivery services are permitted.
- Recreational facilities (fitness centres, pools, gyms, etc.), entertainments businesses (libraries, museums, galleries, etc.), personal & wellness services (hair & nail salons, massage, etc.) – will be closed.
- Health services, emergency services, childcare, and not-for-profit community kitchens will remain open for in-person attendance.
Work from Home
- Mandatory work from home measures will be implemented unless the employer determines that work requires a physical presence for operational effectiveness.
Word of the Day:Permissible: permitted, allowed
The above is an abridged version of the new restrictions. For the full version, please visit: https://www.alberta.ca/enhanced-public-health-measures.aspx