Welcome to today’s Residential Recycling & Disposal Info for Newcomers! Today, let’s learn how to properly recycle or dispose of unusable Christmas trees!
Unusable artificial Christmas trees
- Artificial trees are usually made from PVC plastic and wires.
- Break down unusable artificial trees and put them in your black cart as garbage.
Real Christmas trees
- A freshly cut real Christmas tree lasts three to four weeks and, when the time comes, belongs to your green cart, as real trees are compostable.
- First remove all decorations, tinsel, lights and tree stands.
- Then cut the tree into 1.25-metre lengths and less than 15 cm (six inches) in diameter.
- If your green cart is full, place tree branches in paper yard waste bags and set at least 0.5 m to the side of your green cart for collection.
Learn about different carts here:
The City of Calgary has a residential recycling and disposal search tool. Check out the “What Goes Where” list here: https://www.calgary.ca/uep/wrs/what-goes-where/a-to-z-listing.html#P .
Word of the Day:Tinsel: thin strips of shiny metal foil, paper or plastic used for decoration. Note that “tinsel” is an uncountable noun that does not have a plural form.