We are approaching the busy tax season. Did you know that you can volunteer with a community organization to help others file their taxes? The 2021 tax season is no different. This year, you are welcome to volunteer at a virtual tax clinic and help people online or by phone.
The program is called the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP), run by the Canada Revenue Agency.
This volunteer opportunity is suitable for you if one or more of the following statements fit your situation:
- I want to help people, especially newcomers in my community.
- I have a basic understanding of income tax.
- I don’t have experience doing tax returns but am very interested in learning more.
- I am currently an accounting or finance student.
- I have a background in accounting or finance and would like to gain Canadian experience in relevant fields.
As a CVITP volunteer, you will receive the following
- Web-based training
- Tax software
You must be physically located in Canada to volunteer for this program. Various volunteer roles are available and depending on the role, you may need to obtain a police records check (PRC).
If you or your family need some support filing your income tax (instead of volunteering and helping others), we now run the free Income Tax Clinic program all year round! Fill out this form and book an online session with us today: https://settlementcalgary.com/isc-welcome/