Do I Pay Duty for the Goods I Bring to Canada

Lisa C. Citizenship & Immigration, Newcomer Information

When you move to Canada from your home country, you may bring along your personal belongings and household goods.

You may wonder if you have to pay duty when you enter Canada with these items.

According to IRCC, you will have to pay duty on any time you bring that hasn’t been used. Some items that you have to pay duty on include but are not limited to:

  • Farm equipment
  • Equipment you plan to use in contracting, construction or manufacturing
  • Vehicles you plan to use for business

You do not have to pay duty on

  • Linens and clothes
  • Jewelry and silverware
  • Household appliances and furniture
  • Books or other hobby items, etc.
  • Vehicles for personal use (must meet Canadian safety and pollution control standards)
  • Gifts worth 60 Canadian dollars (or less)a each

You may have to pay duty on:

  • Alcohol
  • Tobacco

Word of the Day:

Duty: a fee that the Canadian government charges on some goods when they are brought into the country.

More information: