Health Canada is advising Canadians NOT to wear face masks that contain graphene because there is a potential that they could inhale graphene particles, which may pose health risks.
What is graphene?
- Graphene combines the meaning of graphite and the suffix -ene.
- Graphene is one of the many physical forms of the chemical element carbon.
What to do now
- Check the packaging of the face masks and do NOT use masks labeled to contain graphene or biomass graphene.
- Consult your health care provider if you have used graphene face masks and have health concerns, such as new or unexplained shortness of breath, discomfort or difficulty breathing.
- Report any health product adverse events or file complaints regarding graphene face masks to Health Canada.
Word of the Day:Adverse: harmful, bad, unfavorable
* Information in this post is taken from Health Canada’s website: https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2021/75309a-eng.php on April 7, 2021