Welcome to today’s Residential Recycling & Disposal Info for Newcomers!
Put small metal lids and small plastic lids in your black cart as garbage. Here are some tips:
- If the lid is smaller than the palm of your hand, it belongs in the garbage.
- If you take your beverage containers directly back to a bottle depot, it is ok to leave lids and caps on in that case.
- Did you know that you can return empty beverage containers to a Bottle Depot for a refund? Learn more here: Bottle Depot Recycling Information
- Beer caps
- Pop lids
- Milk caps
- Wine caps (including aluminum caps)
- Bottle lids
- Beverage lids
Why can’t metal lids and small plastic lids be recycled?
- Even if they are made from a recyclable material, caps are too small and light to be sorted properly by the sorting machines at the recycling facility and end up contaminating other recyclables.
Word of the Day:Contaminate: to make unfit for use by introducing unwanted elements
Learn about different carts here:
The City of Calgary has a residential recycling and disposal search tool. Check out the “What Goes Where” list here: https://www.calgary.ca/uep/wrs/what-goes-where/a-to-z-listing.html#P