What is census?
- Census is an official survey pf a population, including details of individuals in a nation
- In Canada, census is done every 5 years. The very first census conducted in Canada was in 1666.
Why is census important?
Information collected is converted into statistics used by communities, businesses and governments to plan services and make informed decisions about employment, education, health care, market development and more.
Who should be included in the 2021 Census?
If you are filling out the survey, you should include all persons who have their main residence at this address, even if they are temporarily away on May 11, 2021, including those of the following statuses:
- Canadian citizens
- permanent residents
- persons from another country who have a work or study permit and family members living here with them
- persons asking for refugee status (asylum seekers) and family members living here with them
- And more! Check out the full list.
Do I have to participate in the census?
- In accordance with the Statistics Act, all residents of Canada are legally required to complete the census questionnaire.
- Statistics Canada is bound by law to protect the confidentiality of the information respondents provide in the census. Only Statistics Canada employees who have taken the oath of secrecy have access to census questionnaires.
How do I complete the 2021 Census?
- Complete the 2021 Census by answering an online questionnaire. It’s easy, fast, secure and convenient!
- Wait to receive a letter in mail with the 16-digit secure access code.
- Once you receive the code, visit Start questionnaire and follow the instruction there to complete the census survey.
The 2021 census questionnaire is also available in the following non-official languages:
Want to access the questions in any of these languages? Visit the Census information in many languages page, or call the Census Help Line at 1-855-340-2021.
Word of the Day:Convert: to change or turn (into…)
You may find this guide useful too: Received this letter and don’t know what to do with it? Here’s a Step-by-Step Guide on How to Complete the 2021 Census!
More information, visit: