It’s past mid-May and once again the bear season.
Bears are cute but also seriously dangerous. Before you go out on a hiking or camping trip, do the following to get prepared for bear encounters:
- carry bear spray, have it accessible, and know how to use it
- make noise (playing music, singing aloud, clapping hands, etc.) and travel in groups
- keep pets on leash or leave your pets at home
- pack out what you pack in. Leave no trace behind.
- report all bear sightings to 403-591-7755. Your reporting is important for warning other hikers and campers.
Check the Advisories & Public Safety page by Alberta Parks for active Bear Warnings before you visit a park this summer.
How to properly use bear spray (Alberta Parks):
Large animals sometimes wander into our city and can pose a public safety risk. If you spot bears, cougars or moose within Calgary, please call 9-1-1.
Word of the Day:Encounter: an unexpected meeting with someone or something