Do the following to avoid bear encounters:
- Remain alert.
- Shouting regularly or singing loudly is far more effective than using bear bells.
- Keep your ears open. Do not wear headphones or earbuds while on trails.
- Watch for fresh bear signs. Tracks, digs, droppings and carrion indicate that a bear may have been in the area. Leave the area if the signs are fresh.
- Travel in larger groups (4 or more) and during daylight whenever possible.
- Keep your dog on a leash or leave it at home.
Carry and know how to use bear spray!
- Learn how to properly use bear spray and how to get prepared for bear encounters here: https://settlementcalgary.com/2021/05/17/be-prepared-for-bear-encounters/
Check the Advisories & Public Safety page by Alberta Parks for active Bear Warnings before you visit a park this summer.
Large animals sometimes wander into our city and can pose a public safety risk. If you spot bears, cougars or moose within Calgary, please call 9-1-1.
More information: Be Bear Smart – Kananaskis Country | Alberta Parks
Word of the Day:Carrion: the decaying flesh of dead animals.