Welcome to today’s Residential Recycling & Disposal Info for Newcomers!
Do you stare at your empty plastics wondering if it belongs in the blue cart? Ask yourself this question to be sure you recycle your plastics right.
Is it a container?
- If your plastic is a container like a bottle, jug, or tub, it can be recycled. Make sure it’s empty, clean and dry. If it’s not a container, it is not accepted in the blue cart.
- There may be other disposal options for your item. The City of Calgary has a residential recycling and disposal search tool. Check out the list here: What Goes Where? (calgary.ca).
Be aware of these exceptions:
- Bundle your clean, stretchy plastic wrap, bubble wrap and other plastic film into a single plastic bag and tie closed for the blue cart.
- Foam packaging (polystyrene, EPE, EPS, Styrofoam) including foam marked with the recycle symbol belongs in your black cart as garbage.
- Recycle plastic lids larger than the size of your palm in the blue cart. If it’s smaller, it goes in the black cart.
Learn about different carts here:
Stay tuned for upcoming presentations on waste diversion and reduction this fall – search “waste” at calgarylibrary.ca.
Word of the Day:Palm: the inner part of your hand between the ends of your fingers and your wrist