Effective October 6, public reporting of COVID-19 cases in schools will resume with Alberta Health identifying each school with at least two COVID-19 cases online. School outbreaks will be reported at 10 or more COVID-19 cases within a 14-day period that were infectious while at school.
The Alberta Government is doing the following to keep students learning safely in person:
- resuming public reporting of COVID-19 cases in schools,
- initiating contact notification,
- clarifying outbreak definitions,
- providing rapid testing kits and
- encouraging school authorities to have proof-of-COVID-19-vaccination policies for adults.
Starting October 12, parents will also be informed if their child may have been exposed to a COVID-19 case who was infectious while at school.
Starting in late October, a targeted at-home rapid testing program will be introduced for kindergarten to Grade 6 schools experiencing outbreaks, as vaccines are not yet available to this age group.