The Alberta Jobs Now program is a key component of Alberta’s Recovery Plan to create jobs and diversify the economy by strengthening the workforce with skills training and employment grants.
The program’s second application intake period will open on Nov. 10 with changes designed to help employers meet their labour needs and provide more Albertans with the skills they need to land successful careers.
The Alberta Jobs Now program program
- is open to new Alberta businesses and organizations
- supports the hiring of workers into part-time positions
While the program remains focused on supporting the hiring of unemployed Albertans, this will no longer be a requirement for new hires, making it easier for employers to hire the most qualified candidates for available positions.
Employers can now also apply for funding to help fill 10 positions that must be filled within 90 days after approval of their application to the program, speeding up the hiring process and allowing more businesses to participate in the program.
Changes to the Alberta Jobs Now program include:
- Opening the program to Alberta businesses and non-profits that have been incorporated or registered for less than a year.
- Reducing the minimum number of hours employees must work under the program from 30 to 15 hours per week.
- While the focus is on hiring unemployed and underemployed Albertans, employers may fill available positions with employed Albertans if there is a business need.
- Reducing the number of positions that employers can apply for per intake period from 20 to 10.
- Reducing the amount of time employers have to fill positions from 120 to 90 days after receiving application approval.
Word of the Day:Incorporated: formed into a legal corporation.