The Janssen vaccine is currently a single-dose viral vector vaccine that works similarly to the AstraZeneca vaccine.
Alberta has received 5,000 doses of Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) vaccine, giving Albertans 18+ another COVID-19 vaccine option. Due to limited supply, doses will be administered at AHS clinics in select locations – to book, call Health Link 811.
Who should get it
- Eligible Albertans age 18 years and older.
- Available to those who have a contraindication to, or refuse, an mRNA vaccine.
Who shouldn’t get it
- People under 18 years of age, as this type of vaccine is not currently authorized for those under 18.
- About 67% effective in preventing symptomatic infection 14 days after immunization.
- May be less effective preventing spread to others, but evidence is still emerging.
Find the complete list of vaccines approved by Health Canada here.
Due to limited quantities, call 811 to book an appointment at select locations across Alberta.
More information: https://www.alberta.ca/covid19-vaccine.aspx
Word of the DayContraindication: a condition that suggests that a particular drug should not be used