Important changes to bring families together through the spousal sponsorship program

Settlement ISC Citizenship & Immigration

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has published an infographic that shows how the application process is changing, in order to bring family through the spousal sponsorship program. Image source: Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.   Below is a text version: Spousal Sponsorship Changes – Bringing family together infographic: Overseas and in-Canada applications all processed within 12 months (for 80% of cases) Get …

Recognizing 70 years of Canadian Citizenship

Settlement ISC Citizenship & Immigration

January 3, 2017 – Ottawa, ON – Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) hosted a special citizenship ceremony today at the Supreme Court of Canada with 26 individuals invited to kick off Canada 150 celebrations and commemorate the 70th anniversary of the Canadian Citizenship Act. The event resembled the first Canadian citizenship ceremony held 70 years ago, on January 3, …

Your First Two Weeks in Canada

Settlement ISC Citizenship & Immigration, Community

As a newcomer, the first two weeks can be challenging. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) provides a video that explain some of the key things you should do in the first two weeks to make the transition to life in Canada easier.  Watch this IRCC’s video to prepare yourself.

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Settlement ISC Citizenship & Immigration

If you plan to visit Canada by air or transit through Canada, and you are a visa-exempt foreign national (“a visa-exempt foreign national is a person who is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, and who does not normally need a visa to enter Canada.” – IRCC), you may need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).  Exceptions include U.S. citizens and …

How to get a police certificate (police checks)

Settlement ISC Citizenship & Immigration

You need a police certificate if you are coming to Canada as a live-in caregiver, tourist, student, temporary worker, or when you apply to become a Canadian permanent resident, you must submit a police certificate. For your citizenship application, you have to submit a police certificate in original if you were present for six months or longer (cumulative) during the …

Pre-Arrival Services for New Immigrants from Greater China Region

Settlement ISC Citizenship & Immigration

We are pleased to announce that Immigrant Services Calgary (ISC) has joined partnership with Ottawa Chinese Community Service Centre (OCCSC) and Immigrant Services Society of BC (ISS of BC) at Vancouver to provide Pre-Arrival Services for new immigrants who are moving from Greater China Region, including Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan. We will help new Chinese immigrants on …

Before You Arrive in Canada – A Video Introduction from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

Settlement ISC Citizenship & Immigration

This is a video introduction provided by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). “This video will help you get ready for your new life in Canada. It will explain some of the things you should do before you leave your country of origin to make sure you are prepared when you arrive in Canada.” In the video, the expert explained …

Federal/Provincial/Territorial Ministers Meet to Reaffirm Support and Ongoing Collaboration for Syrian Refugee Resettlement

Settlement ISC Citizenship & Immigration

December 1, 2015 – Ottawa, ON – Federal, provincial and territorial (FPT) ministers responsible for immigration met today to reaffirm their commitment to welcoming Syrian refugees to Canada over the coming days and months. Co-chaired by the Honourable John McCallum, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), and the Honourable Michael Chan, Ontario Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and International …