I. Important Immigration Documents

Your Record a Landing is your original record of immigration. Please keep in mind the following points about your Record of Landing:

·     Immigration officer has signed and dated it.

·     Information is correct and complete.

·     Keep it in a safe place for life long.

(1) If you find incorrect information or if any information is missing on the document after landing, you may request to fix the mistakes. Please contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) call center at 1-888-242-2100 or visit IRCC: Record of Landing.

(2) If you lost your Record of Landing, please fill out the Verification of Status form to replace your document. To download the form and instructions, please visit IRCC: Verification of Status.

II. Finding a Place to Live

(1)Here are several websites where you can find information on available rental properties.

·     www.rentfaster.ca

·     www.rentboard.ca

(2) When renting a property, you may be asked to pay for the cost of utilities, such as water, heat and electricity. Sometimes, the cost of utilities is included in the rent. To open an account for the utilities, please call 3-1-1 or 4-1-1 to ask for the contacts of service providers.

(3) If you have a problem with the landlord, look at the rules in the Residential Tenancy Dispute Resolution Service (RTDRS). For more information, please visit information for tenants

III. Social Insurance Number (SIN)

For most newcomers, the SIN is the first document to apply for. Go to a Service Canada office to apply. To look for office locations and application details, please visit Service Canada – Apply for a SIN 

IV. Health Care

You can apply for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) after arriving in Alberta. Basic medical needs are covered under the insurance, but there are medical services that are not covered.

    New immigrants can apply for the AHCIP at a registry office. Please bring your Record of Landing, passport and a valid address.

    (1) To learn about the ACHIP and the application process, please visit the AHCIP

    (2) To learn about which medical services are covered and which are not covered under the AHCIP, please visit

    (3) To look for a registry office location, please visit Registry Office

    V. Language Improvement

    Improving your English language skills can help you to fit in with your community, find a job, or attend occupational training. Most English language training programs follow Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB). The first step is to take an English test to know your CLB.

      The Immigrant Language Assessment and Vocational Referral Centre (ILVARC) is funded by the government and gives free language tests to immigrants and refugees. Listening, speaking, reading and writing are all assessed. Please contact 403-262-2656 to book an appointment. For more information, please visit ILVARC-English Test

      VI. School Registration & Finding a Daycare

        If you have a school aged child, you need to have him/her registered with a school board after landing. There are two school boards in Calgary: the Calgary Board of Education (CBE) and the Calgary Catholic School District (CCSD). Both school boards provide education to students from kindergarten to grade 12. For school registration, please book an appointment and bring proof of the child’s immigration status, the child’s passport and a valid residential address in Calgary.

        1. For  the Calgary Board of Education (CBE) Kingsland Reception Centre contact information,    and to find more information about registration, please visit CBE-School Registration 
        1. For  Calgary Catholic School District (CCSD) St. John Reception Centre’s  contact information, and to learn about registration process and documents required to register, please visit CCSD-Registration

        Daycare services are provided to children under school age. Out-of-school care programs are available for children attending Grades K-6. Each program charges a certain amount of fees. Parents are responsible for paying for these childcare services.

        (1) To search for a quality childcare service, please visit AHS-Child Care Lookup

        (2) The Government of Alberta provides financial assistance to parents who have low income and need childcare services for valid reasons, such as looking for jobs, studying or working. For more information, please visit AHS-Child Care Subsidy

        VII. Public Transportation/Transit

          You can ride a bus or the C-train to travel around the city. A ticket or a pass is required to use the public transit system. A ticket is valid for 90 minutes for transferring between buses and C-trains in any direction. A pass will allow you to use the transit system as much as you need to for the day or month printed on the pass. Adult and  youth Day Passes are only available for purchase at ticket vending machines at all CTrain stations. Seventh Avenue in downtown is a free fare zone. You do not need a ticket or a pass to use the C-train in that zone.

          Visit and browse following site to see how you can get to all the attractions on public transit:


          You can go to a registry office to get a driver’s license. The Government of Alberta has a Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) policy. A new driver needs to pass a written test for Stage One. In Stage Two, you must pass the basic road test to receive a probationary license. There is an advanced road test and other requirements that drivers must pass to receive a full license.

          (1) For more information about GDL, please visit Alberta Transportation-Driver Licensing

          (2)  For more information about driving safety, driving knowledge and to prepare to write the test, please visit Alberta Transportation-Driver Guides

          (3)  The Government of Alberta has established policies for exchanging driver’s license and for GDL program exemption for new immigrants and Alberta residents. For more information, please visit Graduated Driver Licensing exemption program

          If you plan to buy a used car, careful shopping, research and some common sense on vehicles is required. It is a good idea to shop with someone who is knowledgeable about vehicles. Alberta Transportation has provided some information about tools to check used car prices and advice on car inspections, mechanical fitness assessment and making final decisions. For more information, please visit Alberta Transportation-Buying a Used Car

          VIII. Finance

            It is a good idea to learn about Canadian currency, exchanging foreign money to Canadian currency, sending money to Canada, and opening a bank account.

            Image source: Bank of Canada

            Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has prepared related information for new immigrants. For detailed information, please visit



            IX. Job Searching

              There are non-profit-organizations that provide employment preparation programs to help internationally educated professionals with job searching. For detailed information, please visit 

              Employment, Training and Career Services Directory:


              and the employment resources on our platform employment resources: https://settlementcalgary.com/employment/

              X. Government Benefits & Community Resources

                There are resources in communities where individuals and families can get information and support.

                (1) GST/HST Credit is a tax-free quarterly payment made to eligible individuals or families. If you are a resident of Canada for income tax purposes and 19 years of age or older, you may be eligible for the GST/HST credit. 

                New residents of Canada can apply for the GST/HST credit by completing the Application for Individuals Who Become Residents of Canada( Form RC151, GST/HST Credit Application for Individuals Who Become Residents of Canada) for the year that they  become a resident of Canada.

                For more information please visit CRA-GST/HST Credit

                (2) Canada Child Benefit (CCB) is a tax-free monthly payment made to eligible families to help them with the cost of raising children under the age of 18. If you are a resident of Canada for income tax purposes and primarily responsible for the care of your children under the age of 18, you may be eligible for the benefit. New immigrants or Returning Residents of Canada need to fill out and sign “Canada Child Benefit Applicationform ( Form RC66, Canada Child Benefits Application) and include “Status in Canada/Statement of Income” form  (Schedule RC66SCH, Status in Canada/Statement of Income) with their application. The completed application forms and supporting documents proving the immigration status and proof of birth for each child should be mailed to the  tax centre corresponding to the province of residence

                  For more information, please visit CRA- CCB

                (3) Employment Insurance (EI) is a temporary financial assistance to unemployed Canadians and permanent residents who have lost their job through no fault of their own while they look for work or upgrade their skills. The individual needs to have worked enough insurable hours to be eligible for EI. Canadians who are sick, pregnant, caring for a newborn or adopted child caring for a family member who is seriously ill with a significant risk of death, or caring for their critically ill or injured child may be assisted by Employment Insurance. For more information, please visit: Service Canada-Employment Insurance

                (4) Alberta Child Benefit (ACB) is a non-taxable amount paid to lower-income families in Alberta with children under 18 years of age. ACB payments are made quarterly in August, November, February and May. Families need to file income tax return to receive the benefit, but there is no working income requirement. For more information, please visit ACB

                (5) Alberta Family Employment Tax Credit (AFETC) is a tax-free amount paid to families in Alberta that have working income and children under 18 years of age. You need to file income tax return and there is a minimum working income requirement to be eligible for the benefit. Payments are made in July and January. For more information, please visit AFETC

                (6) Alberta Child Health Benefit (ACHB) provides health benefit coverage for children under 18, and 18-19 year old dependents living at home and attending school. The intent is to ensure that children from lower income families have equal access to extended medical services. For more information, please visit: Alberta Human Services-ACHB

                (7) Alberta Adult Health Benefit (AAHB) provides support to low income Albertans who are pregnant or have high ongoing prescription drug needs. The intent is to ensure that eligible adults have access to prescription drugs ,dental services, optical services, emergency ambulance and diabetic supplies  . For more information, please visit: Alberta Human Services-AAHB

                (8) The Calgary Board of Education waives school fees for low income families. Qualified parents/guardians can also apply for waiver of Transportation Fees, Music Instrument Rental Fees and Noon Supervision Fees. For Fee Waiver application forms and more information, please visit: CBE- Fee Waiver  

                 (9)  Calgary residents in financial need can apply for Calgary Transit Low Income Transit Pass.. The purchase price will be assigned based on a sliding scale pricing system. Applicants are required to submit Fair Entry application form and provide proof of address and household Income. For more information, please visit: Calgary Transit- Low Income Monthly Pass

                (10) City of Calgary Recreation Fee Assistance Program offers low income Calgarians subsidized access to facilities that are registered with the City of Calgary and other programs offered by the Fee Assistance Partners.

                (1) Community Resource Centers can provide you with resources, referrals, information and support. They assist individuals and families in accessing resources such as food, clothing, housing, employment and transportation.  

                (2) Calgary Public Library has 18 branches around the city. The library provides extensive programs for all ages, such as ESL conversation classes, reading clubs, computer literacy programs, and career seminars. For more information, please visit: CPL

                (3)  Calgary Food Bank provides emergency food hampers to individuals or families who are not able to afford food. Eligible people may receive up to seven emergency food hampers in a 12-month period. For more information, please visit: Calgary Food Bank

                (4) Good Food Box (GFB) is a program from where you can buy fresh fruits and vegetables at a very low cost. There are several locations in different communities where orders can be placed and the food boxes can be picked up. For more information, please visit: Community Kitchen Program-Good Food Box 

                (5) Making Changes Employment Association of Alberta  provides programs, services and resources to empower women in transition overcome barriers to employment. Two of their programs provide business attire for women and clothing for teenaged girls (Age 12-18) from lower income families .  For more information, please visit: Making Changes

                (6) Women in Need Society (WINS) is a charitable organization which runs thrift stores at several locations in the city. Women coming out of crisis situations, transitioning to housing, newcomers to Canada or those who have fallen on difficult times  can access free goods, such as clothes, household items, and furniture for themselves and their families through the Free Goods Referral Program (FGRP).   For more information, please visit: WINS

                XI. Immigrant Serving Agencies & Ethno-Cultural Groups

                You can receive free services from immigrant serving agencies to meet new immigrants’ needs, such as finding a job, language assessments and classes, finding a place to live, and filling out forms and applications. First language services are available in most cases. There are also ethno-cultural groups in Calgary that provide support and services to the communities.

                To search for an immigrant serving agency in Calgary, please visit http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/map/services.asp