Volunteers: The Heart of Immigrant Services Calgary
As a volunteer, whether you are accompanying a client to an important doctor’s appointment, coaching someone on how to write a resume, or helping our staff in the office, you will be contributing to the successful integration and support of newcomers to Calgary. Without volunteers… there is no Immigrant Services Calgary.
We have over 700 volunteers who collectively speak over 70 languages, but we are always on the look out for more. We offers a variety of volunteer positions:
- Employment coach
- Community volunteer
- Children’s program volunteer
- Income tax volunteer
- Seniors program volunteer
- Office and workshop support volunteer
- Youth volunteer
- Board member
Currently, Immigrant Services Calgary is recruiting for the following positions:
- Interpreters and translators who are native speakers or demonstrate fluency in the following languages:
- Interpreters: Albanian, Amharic, Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Cantonese, Dari, Dinka, Farsi, French, German, Italian, Khmer, Korean, Nuer, Somali, Tigrinya, Vietnamese.
- Translators: Amharic, Bengali, Chinese, Czech, Dari, Dinka, Farsi, French, German, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Malay, Nepali, Nuer, Polish, Portuguese, Serbian, Somali, Spanish, Tagalog, Tamil, Thai, Tigrinya, Ukrainian, Vietnamese.
- Interpreter: Provides verbal interpretation services in various settings such as medical, legal, social, educational, and others.
- Translator: Provides written translation of documents that accurately reflects the meaning of the source text.
- Mentor: Provides support, advice, and encouragement to internationally educated professionals in their job search process.
- Children’s Programs Volunteer: Assists ISC staff in facilitating children’s activities such as reading circles, crafts, playing, singing, dancing, and others. This role may also include helping with setting-up and cleaning-up, preparing healthy snacks, childminding, assisting with workshops and other tasks.
- Tutor: Provides tutoring in school subjects (i.e., English, math, science, social science, etc.) to immigrant/refugee learners (grades 1-12). Tutors help students build academic skills, develop better study habits, improve self-confidence, and achieve success in school and life.
- Youth mentee (immigrant youth ages 14-20) – Supports community causes, projects, and initiatives through donating his/her time to local non-profit organizations.
See anything that fits you? If so, you can register here.