The YIP serves immigrant youth ages 12-20 throughout the city of Calgary. The YIP helps newcomers learn about Calgary through mentorship, community engagement, skill-building, field trips and social activities.
Why join the YIP?
- The YIP is a great way to make new friends, learn more about the city of Calgary, and have fun!
- Get paired with a peer mentor who will attend events with you and help you learn about life in Calgary.
- The YIP fits into your schedule. Pick and choose events from our monthly calendars!
Exploring the City of Calgary for Canada’s 150
Example of a YIP calendar
What will you do with us?
- Socialize: Make new friends through fun activities like laser tag, movie nights, parties, etc.
- Volunteer: Gain fun, hands-on volunteer experience with fellow YIP members by helping out at local organizations, charities and festivals, like Inn from the Cold, the Calgary Food Bank, Making Changes Association, the Calgary Performing Arts Festival and much more!
- Explore Calgary: Visit local attractions like the Calgary Zoo, attend cultural festivals, and get to know your new city.
- Develop Skills: Learn about something new like acting, rock climbing, money management, scholarships, employment skills and more.
Creating Valentine's Day cards to give to isolated seniors
Volunteering at and participating in the Dragon Boat Festival
Learning how to rock climb
Volunteering at the 22nd Annual Immigrants of Distinction Awards
Learning how to ice skate
Building a community garden for the Salvation Army
YIP youth meeting the Mayor of Calgary, Naheed Nenshi at the 22nd Annual Immigrants of Distinction Awards
Next YIP Events
Address: 5th Floor 910 – 7th Ave SW | P: 403-538-8336 | E: HanneB@immigrantservicescalgary.ca
Monday – Wednesday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.,
Thursday 8:30 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.,
Friday 8:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
(programming takes place after school and on weekends)